Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Spicy rice and veggies

I put this recipe together using bits and pieces of 3 others. It's sooooo good!

Spicy rice and veggies

1 onion - diced
3-4 garlic cloves - minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
Red, yellow, green pepper - 1/2 of each - chopped
1 cup broccoli crowns - cut in to smaller pieces
1 cup baby bella mushrooms - sliced
parsley, basil, marjoram, cumin, turmeric, & cayenne pepper - to taste
(I don't usually measure spices, but I'd say about 1/2 - 1 tsp each
1 cup instant whole grain brown rice
2 cups organic broth - chicken or beef - divided

Saute onions & garlic in olive oil until almost done. Add 1 cup of broth, veggies, and spices. Cook until vegetables are tender crisp. Cook the rice in 1 cup of broth covered in the microwave for 8 minutes. Add the rice to vegetables, stir and serve.

You can add different veggies. I added a 1/2 can of no sodium added garbanzo beans the last time I made it. I really like how versatile it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment