Tuesday, June 15, 2010

All natural, low sodium pizza

I have found plenty of all natural recipes online. The problem is that sodium is a natural ingredient! Our all natural, organic, low sodium adventure started 3 months ago with a call from my husbands dental surgeon. His blood pressure had been up for the last few years. Hovering at about 150/90. Right at the beginning of needing medication. We thought that if we stopped adding salt to our meals at the dinner table we would be ok. Back in March, my husband had to have a wisdom tooth surgically removed. That night the ACTUAL DENTAL SURGEON called. He said he was concerned about Dave's blood pressure. That really got my attention. Apparently not adding salt from the shaker was not enough. That got me looking at labels. That got me noticing all of the other crap that was in there with the sodium. Then, Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution aired on t.v. This all happened in the span of a couple of days. Things just happened to line up in a way that lit a fire under my butt!


All Natural, Low Sodium Pizza

Start with my recipe for crust
For the toppings
Sauce - RedPack 100% natural crushed tomatoes with basil, garlic, and oregano. These crushed tomatoes have the least sodium with BEST taste I have found. 90mg per 1/4 serving. I use this on our pasta as well, straight from the can with nothing else added. DELICIOUS!
Chopped FRESH veggies (nothing from a can, we do kinda miss pepper rings and black olives) - tomatoes, peppers, mushrooms, red onion...
Low fat mozzarella - at about 180mg sodium per serving, it's not to bad. I just noticed that shredded swiss has alot less, 60mg per serving. The next time I make anything with shredded cheese I'm going to try to add half swiss to cut down on the sodium and see how it tastes.

Bake at 425 until cheese is nice a golden.

My son had 5 pieces when I made this! Did I mention that he is probably going to grow 9 inches this summer the way he has been eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment