Wednesday, July 21, 2010

All natural, Low sodium BBQ Burritos

One of our favorites is a recipe I got from a friend of mine many years ago. I think she said it was their version of a Chi Chi's dish. MMMMMM, Chi Chi's. Anyways, I came up with a recipe that fits into our new lifestyle and is just as yummy!



BBQ Burritos

Low sodium tortillas - yes, these are kind of hard to find. Most flour tortillas contain up to 500mg! Giant Eagle has a 6 pk. of brown rice flour tortillas in their all natural, organic freezer section for $3 that has 160mg of sodium. Marc's carries a 10pk of flour tortillas for $4.50 that has 85mg. These are the ones I usually buy but they don't always have them. I'm still trying to master my own recipe :)

1 cup Instant whole grain brown rice

1 jar all natural low sodium salsa - Newman's Own, mild, is the lowest I've found in sodium.

1 cup beans - either a no salt added canned bean - any kind, or prepared dry beans

2 cups roasted chicken

Shredded cheese



BBQ Sauce - I've posted this already but here it is again

1 cup No salt added, All natural Ketchup

1/4 Mustard

1/4 Apple Cider Vinegar

1/4 Molasses

1 tea. crushed red pepper



Mix the rice, salsa, and beans together. Coat the chicken with BBQ sauce. To assemble - On tortilla, layer rice mixture, then chicken, and top with cheese. Wrap up and place on a sprayed cookie sheet. Cook for about 10 min. at 425 degrees. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment