Sunday, September 26, 2010

Dark Choclate Clusters

I'm waiting for the dry beans to finish cooking. That's why I have time to list some new recipes. :) I am determined to conquer the dry bean! No salt added beans are $2 a can and up! I can get a 2 pd. bag of dry bean for $1.29. Anyways, my daughter has a huge sweet tooth. Not just for any sweets but for chocolate. I must admit, I can sympathize! My goal was to come up the healthiest chocolate treat I could.

Dark Chocolate Clusters

2 bars of all natural dark chocolate. This was not as easy to find as I'd hoped. I finally found it at Giant Eagle in the baking isle. Each bar costs about $2.50! I know! It's worth it thought!
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped almonds - raw, not salted
1/2 dried golden raisins - or other dried fruit like cherries
1/4 cup oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/4 flax seed

Melt the chocolate in the microwave on medium. When melted smooth add the rest of the ingredients. Mix until everything is nice and coated. The chocolate should JUST coat the dry ingredients. You can add more nuts, fruit, or grains if it's to runny. Drop by small spoonfuls on to a cookie sheet lined with wax paper and refrigerate. After they have set up, I just throw them into a ziplock bag. They make nice little treats in lunch boxes. See, who says you can't make healthy sweet tooth choices!

No comments:

Post a Comment