Monday, August 16, 2010

Nutrition Packed No Bake Cookies!

As I looked at my old recipe for no bake cookies, I realized that the ingredients are pretty much all natural. With a few tweaks, I was able to boost nutrition & cut down the sugar and butter. They turned out delicious and sated the need for CHOCOLATE!

1 cup organic cane sugar - While different sugars are metabolized by the body the same way. Some natural sugars, like cane sugar, have much less of an impact on your blood glucose levels.
1/2 skim milk
1/2 pure baking cocoa
3 tbsp unsalted butter

Combine in a pan a heat until boiling. Continue to boil, stirring constantly for 3 min. Remove from heat and add

1/2 cup all natural peanut butter (I used smart balance - chunky)
1 tea. pure vanilla (not imitation)
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 ground flax seed
1 tbsp cinnamon - one of the healthiest spices in the world!

Drop by spoonfuls on wax paper or spread in prepared 8x8 pan. Refrigerate until firm. I cut the amount of sugar in half. This causes the cookies to set up more like a fudge. I increased the cocoa from 3 tbsp and that gave it more of a dark chocolate flavor. I always loved cinnamon in my hot chocolate so I figured I'd give it a try in the cookies - YUMMY. Aside from the butter, which I cut from 4 tbsp. this version is packed with nutrition!

No comments:

Post a Comment